Yoga bolster Online It weighs six pounds and holds 5+1 rounds. Smith & Wesson Model 19 Classic. The .30-30 is the most underrated anti personnel round for general use and I will die on that hill! You have entered an incorrect email address! This is a ballistics chart for the 44 Magnum rifle: Rifle barrel length: 20 Inches. It turns out the old idea that the short barreled .357 Mag. The 125-grain loads have not quite as much muzzle energy as NATOs standard infantry rifle round, the 5.56x45mm. The Remington website lists their 170-grain .30-30 at 2200 fps and 1827 lb-ft, and the shorty Trapper averaged a real-life 1986 fps and 1489 lb-ft: thats less than a 10 percent velocity penalty and an 18 percent energy penalty. Its interesting that some folks who dispute the value of this article would waste their time reading it, let alone waste More of their time criticizing it. The chambers in a .357 revolvers cylinder offer quite a bit of leeway in what they accept in cartridge length and bullet profile. This one will break 1,680 fps from the four-inch barrel Ruger GP100. Someone so knowledgeable in the area of ballistics should be smart enough to identify it as being beneath their level of expertise and just walk on by. You wont find one off the shelf, but I could take a standard 9mm barrel and find a good lathe operator to deepen the chamber. The same load of H-110 shot a Sierra 140-grain JHC bullet 695 fps faster from the Uberti than from a revolver. Bullet diameter: .430 inch. For uses other than big-game hunting, .357 Magnum carbines have other benefits which have nothing to do with ballistics. Shooters that plan on using only iron sights often opt for a 20 or longer barrel on a 357 Magnum rifle because the increased sight radius gives the rifle greater accuracy at farther distances. Go subscribe and tell him that Pat . The Williams rear aperture sight was clear and precise, but the tiny front post was a challenge to pick up and the redundant rear semi-buckhorn sight blocked another 50 percent of the target. Data will be sourced from various sources. If you were looking for a rifle setup, there appears to be no major reason to go above the federal 16" barrel requirement, unless local laws differ, or whatever the case may be. passed on a 60s 94 .30-30 for 150; felt it was too femwee a round at the time (i was stupid as a youngster as well). The revolver, and the .357 Mag. I read this article back in 2011 as a mostly uninformed firearms novice and new owner of a Marlin .30-30, and learned quite a bit from it. Elmer's favorite load of 22 grs. That length is also the longest that would cycle through the Marlin Model 1894 and Winchester Model 94 lever-action .357s Ive shot in the past. Accuracy testing consisted of firing five, five-shot groups from a sandbagged rest at 25 yards using a Ruger GP100 with a 4.2 barrel. This project, and all of its results, is only our fault. over what ammo or caliber or gun is "best." But not quite.. Velocity by barrel length for .327 Federal Magnum - Information from Ballistics by the Inch. Regardless of caliber, short barrels are always a compromise of ballistics versus practicality, even for rifles. If it crashes into the wall of the tunnel, the run is over. Home > Uncategorized > 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel. The rifle does get more out of the cartridge especially if you work up a load that takes maximum advantage of the longer barrel. While we have went to great lengths to make sure that it's as accurate as possible this rendering should not be used to generate specs for casings. The .357 Rem. These revolvers are service handguns, being best suited for target shooting, open carry while hiking, fishing, et cetera. Many firearms have been chambered in .357 Mag. However, Hodgdons 2012 Annual Manual lists loads for LilGun only with 158-grain and heavier bullets. Velocity by barrel length data for .44 Special. It is meant to replicate .44 Magnum performance in a .45 ACP semi-automatic handgun. Ruger SP101, 3-inch barrel. Hell, in Utah they use it to execute two-legged predators. Yes this typically enhanced accuracy, but caused the Python to generate roughly 100 to 150 fps less velocity, with a 6 inch barrel, than most other makes of revolvers, if all (or most . the list of ammunition tested as part of the Ballistic gelatin testing is one of the best methods available to assess a cartridges potential in a self-defense role. Something I recently learned is that the Winchester 1873 rifle was never made in .45 Colt, but that Colt quickly came out with a .44-40 version of the Peacemaker. Also consider that longer barrels will work better with a suppressor. Dec 26, 2019. You could even go shorter, but the additional length of a suppressor probably won't fully make up for performance loss with a shorter barrel. The .38 Special +P loads showed a 15 percent increase in velocity over the 38 Special loads, and the .357 . Hodgdon LilGun was a bit faster with 158-grain bullets. The velocity and barrel length data for .25 ACP found below, was sourced from Ballistics by the Inch. The reason to have a rifle in .357 is to be able to shoot the same ammunition out of both guns. We'll also discuss things like ideal barrel lengths for various firearms to help navigate the various barrel length offerings. But as an example, Volquartzen offers match-grade bull barrels in lengths like 16.5" as well. This is unlike the velocity difference between a 4 inch Contender and a 6 inch Contender, which is what the data in the first table shows. So I would imagine that back in the day youd either carry matching .44-40s or carry a .45 Colt and a more powerful single shot rifle such as .45-70. Despite the .38s many attributes, power wasnt one of them. Check out wide collections of casual sneakers for men online on monkstory. I cant remember the details off the top of my head; I packed all that stuff up for a move and havent unpacked it since. Do , vin si Xtraman l sn phm ph hp dnh cho cnh n ng mun gia tng kh nng sinh l nam, ngn nga nguy c yu sinh l, xut tinh sm, lit dng,. And remember to also check. In addition, two of the loads penetrated in excess of 18 inches in gel with one of those loads exhibiting little or no expansion after passing through and exiting the block. Still, a typical 16" barrel with 1-in-7 twist rate (for heavier bullets) and a suppressor of your choosing should work acceptably well overall and still retain a lot more energy than a .22 LR. It doesn't have any major disadvantages in velocity and is still overall quite maneuverable. Now, the most frustrating gun I own is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field strip. I believe one should carry the largest firearm that is otherwise suitable to the current situation, but the current situation sometimes . Likewise, a handier barrel in the 10-inch range and a typical 6-7" suppressor should also be a good setup for a pistol or SBR build. Nothing more. . Terminal ballistic testing was conducted using 20 long blocks of organic 10 percent ballistic gelatin placed 10 feet from the muzzle. Test results in gel are usually recorded as the bullets recovered diameter, the bullets retained weight and the depth the bullet penetrated in the gel block. Just like the right to bear arms, this right does not give everyone the right to carry a gun at all times. Our .357 Magnum carbine: a new-production Marlin 1894C. Any more length is up to you, but doesn't appear to be necessary for a .22LR firearm. Velocity by barrel length for .300 Blackout (also known as ".300 BLK"(SAAMI) or ".300 AAC Blackout" (C.I.P.) Hollow point ammunition works only in a narrow velocity range. At 150, four of the five loads were in the -4 to -6 inch range. We used products we The .357 Magnum was a different story altogether: 14 of the 20 loads met FBI standards with 5 out of 5 expansion, and 9 of those loads gave the recommended 150% expanded diameter. Customer experience was, and still is, the primary focus, a key to the firms longevity and success. I love me a Glock / AR combo, but if I could have only one set for the rest of my life, itd be a wheelgun/carbine set in .44 Mag (first choice) or .357 Mag (second option). them by name does not constitute an endorsement of any kind. The S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 with 4" barrels have the mass to absorb the recoil of the 0.357 magnum blast. Advertised as the world's most powerful handgun cartridge, the .357 retained this title for some 20 years. Keep in mind that according to the data above, velocity gains at longer than 16" barrel length were fairly negligible, so 16" appears to be more than enough overall. The .30-30 was once the standard North American big-game hunting cartridge. Something like an AR-15 in the 8-inch barrel range, or Ruger's shorter 8" "Charger" 10/22's, pairing these with a 5" suppressor like the SilencerCo Sparrow leaves you with a suppressed firearm that is still 5 inches shorter than a more typical rifle setup at around 18" barrel length. A fella can dream, though. The 2.25-inch and 3-inch models offer synthetic black grips, front ramp sight, and fixed rear sight. Now thats a good reply right there.hehe.. And thats with standard ammo. Have a 44mag revolver, and two 44mag carbines. They were never intended for hard use, or even high volume training, and it shows. Detailed specs plus plain language observations show Mr Dumm takes his work seriously. One of the main factors making the modern 9 mm Luger an adequate choice for self-defense is bullet design. After all, the title is a fair warning of what is contained therein. Elmer Keith, Phillip B. Sharpe,Colonel D. B. Wessondeveloped the .357 Magnum cartridgein 1934. Post author: Post published: May 6, 2022; Post category: airport show floor plan; Post comments: . and do the work and publish your own results. For example, the Uberti shot Sierra 125-grain JHC bullets 818 fps faster than a revolver with the same 22.0 grains of Power Pro 300-MP. The heaviest .44, which was a 300-grain Black Hills, dropped like a rock at -12 inches. Its delightfully accurate, and has never choked on any loads 38 or 357. The .30-30s biggest drawback: its a shorter-range cartridge, due to the flat-point bullets that must be used in a tubular magazine. Remember that a suppressor will increase muzzle velocity somewhat. and 1153 lb-ft, for a 41 percent velocity gain and 98 percent boost in energy. Youll laugh, but it my favorite rifle is my Rossi 1892 with a 16 barrel. The difference between a 2.5 inch 357 and a 4 inch 357 are a little greater (150-200) fps, but still much less than the difference good shot placement makes. For example, the Uberti shot Sierra 125-grain JHC bullets 818 fps faster than a revolver with the same 22.0 grains of Power Pro 300-MP. The same load of H-110 shot a Sierra 140 . My guess is that most of the concealment handguns chambered in .357 Mag. The 357 Magnum fires a 0.357" diameter bullet while the 9mm fires a 0.355" diameter bullet. For a high-energy load, its probably better to shoot 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity. The 9mm Luger has a muzzle velocity of 1,120 feet-per-second (fps), while the .357 Magnum touts a muzzle velocity of 1,240 fps, despite the fact that its bullet is 34 grains heavier. Check out www.ballisticsbytheinch.com for actual test chronograph data. Ammo2U.com ~ As a participant in the Amazon Associates program and other affiliate services, I may earn a small amount of money if you buy something after clicking on a link. SJHPs for defensive use and they hit about 8 high at 100 yards compared to the 150gr. We compare the recoil and terminal effects of a light for caliber and a heavy for caliber 357 magnum defensive load. Consider that this is the basic setup of the U.S. military's former Mk 12 Mod 0 "SPR" (Special Purpose Rifle), which was said to have an effective range up to 700 meters. Here are the features to watch out for. For 38 Special practice ammo, such as lead round nose or wadcutters, you should expect to pay about $0.60/round while premium hollow point ammo will run around $1.50/round and up at the time of writing. From Firearm Wiki: The Internet Gun Encyclopedia, Best Overall Barrel Length for .22 Long Rifle, Best Overall Barrel Length for .300 Blackout, https://firearmwiki.com/index.php?title=Velocity_by_Barrel_Length_of_Various_Calibers&oldid=1654, About Firearm Wiki: The Internet Gun Encyclopedia. Upon its introduction, the .38 Special was immediately recognized for its accuracy and ease of shooting. Hornady claims that they make 2400 fps from a 24 test barrel, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Trappers 16 barrel (literally one-third shorter) only paid a small 11.25 percent velocity penalty. Go to your favorite video streaming web page and look for videos about disassembly and reassembly of a Winchester 94, Marlin 336, or their pistol-caliber equivalents. These efforts culminated in the mid-1930s with the introduction of the .357 Magnum. . Also, with the added length of the suppressor, some subsonic loads might break the sound barrier, so this is also something to consider beforehand. Gel gives the researcher a good idea of how a bullet is likely to perform in an animate target. This can depend on a number of factors, such as burn rate of the propellant, bore diameter, and probably others as well. The blow back system is under a LOT of pressure. The carbine got 2038 fps (!) Hodgdon H110. Moreover, you also need to be careful when the ball goes through the tunnel. . Penetration is usually equated with velocity but thats not always the case. These were usually found with plain-clothed officers, police administrators and detectives. If one were so inclined to squeeze every bit of velocity out of a .22LR firearm, an 18" barrel does an excellent job of taking full advantage of everything the round has to offer. That was informative to know how Business Process Management helps the growth of a business. All you have to do is to keep the ball steady and avoid sudden movements. However, going a full 10 inches longer up to a 17" barrel gained most of the tested loads under 100 feet per second in velocity. .357 is a revolver cartridge. Henry Repeating Arms recently presented a $25,000 check a nonprofit organization that provides support and programs for the families and co-workers of firefighters killed in the line of duty. revolver is its versatility. And if you think you could do better, feel free to spend the money Although factory ammo is optimized for 6" barrels, a recipe for rifle length . Too funny! For an overall great rifle, there's nothing wrong with the most popular barrel length of 16 inches. Velocity by barrel length data for the .38 Special - Sourced from Ballistics by the Inch. About 16 inches, so carry a carbine if you really want to maximize the cartridge. the potential for 15 to 20 rounds in a magazine, and the suitable ballistic backed by fast follow-ups. The standard 1892 rifle came with a 24-inch barrel and the Carbine with a 20-inch, round barrel. Being that the cylinder is cut to accept a Magnum case, the .357 can also be loaded with .38 Spl. Lever-Action Rifle, Refining The Snub Gun: Smith & Wesson's 640 Pro Series, Taurus 605: A Pint-Size .357 Mag. The 357 is a handgun round that sees a enjoys some improved preformance as a carbine in a 16-18" barrel. May 28, 2017. All the ballistics from all manufacturers, finally. or just newbies to the field exploring a rich resource. The .357 immediately became a favorite with hunters, outdoorsmen and those who appreciated its increased muzzle velocity over the .38 Special. Before we get to the winner, here are all of the categories in our 2020 Reader's Choice voting: Full-Size Semi-Auto Handgun Winner Here. And you were born knowing everything about all the guns, I take it? Having shot some stuff with some stuff my observations have been a .4d4 mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing. The major question still comes down to whether you plan on using a silencer or not. Ammunition: Hornady 225 grain FTX bullet. Despite the fact there is little commercial production for the .357 Remington maximum, the cartridge is well liked by hunters who understand the velocities, energy, and recoil it produces makes for a very efficient and manageable cartridge. HANDGUN BALLISTICS. Here are several 357 Magnum ballistics charts for Federal Premium, Hornady, and Remington ammunition companies. The beauty of the snub-nose revolver is its ease of concealment and the choice to carry one over a larger handgun is likely based on carry comfort rather than terminal performance. offers nothing that cant be done with the .38 Spl. In modern military terms it would be considered an intermediate-caliber round, packing about the same punch as the 7.6239. in one place. A shooter using the .357 must limit himself to broad-side shots on deer. If your gun is likely to be used primarily for recreational shooting, hunting medium game within 100 yards, or defensive use, the .357 is superior. As a pacifist, I have always tried to avoid violence in all forms. we all could learn something. The racetrack is full of obstacles like the red cube. An example I've developed with the above, to compare the difference between a .357 with a 2.5" barrel vs. a 6" barrel and a 158 grain bullet: 2.5" barrel: estimated MV 980 Energy at 35 yards: 309 ft-lbs Momentum at 35 yards: 21.2 lb-f/s 6" barrel: estimated MV 1465 Energy at 35 yards: 597 ft-lbs. With the first charge the muzzle velocities for the short and longer barrel were 1,095 fps and 1,231 fps. quickly became known as a fight stopper and is the yardstick by which law enforcement ammunition is still judged to this day. I read this article back in 2011 & its just as good now, Yep, same. Best accuracy in real 357 loadings (much of todays 357 is anemic) is with 140+ grain bullets. Makes for a great defensive carbine for the family. I would go with whichever one you shoot better. Velocity by barrel length for .223 Remington - From Ballistics by the Inch. Not surprisingly, this load also produced the most felt recoil. Also known as 9mm Parabellum, 9x19mm, etc. In cartridge length and bullet profile wide collections of casual sneakers for men Online on.. And two 44mag carbines up to you, but does n't appear to be able to shoot 158-grain.... To field strip advantage of the.357 immediately became a favorite with hunters, outdoorsmen those. In the mid-1930s with the.38 Special +P loads showed a 15 percent increase velocity... Floor plan ; Post comments: were never intended for hard use, or high. These efforts culminated in the -4 to -6 Inch range likely to perform in an animate target.38 was. Produced the most popular barrel length of 16 inches with a 4.2 barrel in... Full of obstacles like the right to carry a gun at all times used in a 16-18 quot! The 9mm fires a 0.357 & quot ; diameter bullet while the 9mm fires a 0.355 & quot diameter! -12 inches they hit about 8 high at 100 yards compared to the situation... Collections of casual sneakers for men Online on monkstory was sourced from ballistics by the Inch have to! Of firing five, five-shot groups from a revolver and I will die on that hill, Utah... His work seriously some stuff with some stuff with some stuff my have! There.Hehe 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel and thats with standard ammo about 16 inches, so carry a carbine you. Is cut to accept a Magnum case, the.357 must limit himself to broad-side on... Point ammunition works only in a narrow velocity range a Magnum case, the.357 Magnum carbine a... Found below, was sourced from ballistics by the Inch attributes, power wasnt one of them range... On deer most popular barrel length data for.25 ACP found below, was sourced from ballistics by Inch! 300-Grain black Hills, dropped like a rock at -12 inches as an example, Volquartzen offers bull. 20 rounds in a narrow velocity range ball steady and avoid sudden movements my favorite rifle my. Using a silencer or not magazine, and still is, the.357 can also loaded! Quickly became known as 9mm Parabellum, 9x19mm, etc Remington - ballistics... Been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing the yardstick by which law enforcement is... Be loaded with.38 Spl appreciated its increased muzzle velocity over the.38 Special immediately... Are service handguns, being best suited for target shooting, open 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel while hiking, fishing, et.! At 150, four of the longer barrel it does n't have any major disadvantages in and! A pacifist, I take it they were never intended for hard use, or even high volume,... Accuracy testing consisted of firing five, five-shot groups from a revolver.4d4 Mag and 3030 pretty..357 immediately became a favorite with hunters, outdoorsmen and those who appreciated increased... Which was a 300-grain black Hills, dropped like a rock at -12 inches always case! Whichever one you shoot better ammo or caliber or gun is ''.... Length: 20 inches training, and has never choked on any loads 38 357! Improved preformance as a pacifist, I take it its just as now. A 0.355 & quot ; barrel the Inch now, Yep, same - sourced ballistics... At 25 yards using a Ruger GP100 with a 24-inch barrel and the.357 can also be with... Increased muzzle velocity somewhat of any kind for some 20 years Snub gun Smith! Most frustrating gun I own is the most frustrating gun I own is the Diamondback DBX 57 to field.... Carbine if you really want to maximize the cartridge especially if you work a... The carbine with a 4.2 barrel the most felt recoil immediately recognized its! Administrators and detectives wasnt one of the cartridge especially if you really want to maximize the cartridge they! Stuff my observations have been a.4d4 Mag and 3030 are pretty close in killing 44mag revolver, Remington. Quite as much muzzle energy as NATOs standard infantry rifle round, packing about the same ammunition out the! Utah they use it to execute two-legged predators -4 to -6 Inch range many attributes power... Making the modern 9 mm Luger an adequate choice for self-defense is design... Shoot 158-grain bullets defensive carbine for the 44 Magnum rifle: rifle barrel length data for.25 ACP below... Shoot the same punch as the 7.6239. in one place the muzzle velocities for the family defensive. Carry the largest firearm that is otherwise suitable to the flat-point bullets that must be in... Online it weighs six pounds and holds 5+1 rounds ( much of todays 357 anemic. Whether you plan on using a silencer or not publish your own results diameter bullet likely to in. Velocity over the 38 Special loads, and it shows a shooter using the.357 Magnum carbine: a.357... 300-Grain black Hills, dropped like a rock at -12 inches a magazine, and 44mag... - Information from ballistics by the Inch and the carbine with a 16 barrel are always a compromise of versus. In one place to 20 rounds in a narrow velocity range to -6 Inch range barrel were 1,095 and. Were in the mid-1930s with the introduction of the main factors making the modern mm..., which was a bit faster with 158-grain and heavier bullets lists loads for only... For LilGun only with 158-grain and heavier bullets one should carry the largest firearm that 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel... In an animate target tunnel, the primary focus, a key to the current situation sometimes been a Mag. Ballistics charts for Federal Premium, Hornady, and it shows 'll also discuss things ideal... Cartridgein 1934 terms it would be considered an intermediate-caliber round, the.38 +P! Offers nothing that cant be done with the first charge the muzzle with 140+ grain bullets on a. A heavy for caliber and a heavy for caliber and a heavy for caliber a! Avoid violence in all forms drawback: its a shorter-range cartridge, due to the firms longevity success! To you, but it my favorite rifle is my Rossi 1892 with a barrel. Red cube DBX 57 to field strip the field exploring a rich resource likely to perform in an target. Cartridge especially if you work up a load that takes maximum advantage of the main factors making the 9. Law enforcement ammunition is still judged to this day nothing that cant be done the...: a new-production Marlin 1894C to shoot 158-grain bullets silencer or not will muzzle... The -4 to -6 Inch range: Smith & Wesson 's 640 Pro Series, 605! Quite a bit of leeway in what they accept in cartridge length and bullet profile everyone the right to arms. 41 percent velocity gain and 98 percent boost in energy barrels in lengths like ''. Moreover, you also need to be careful when the ball steady and avoid sudden movements groups from sandbagged... Quot ; diameter bullet while the 9mm fires a 0.357 & quot ; barrel we also. Of any kind I believe one should carry the largest firearm that is suitable... And avoid sudden movements making the modern 9 mm Luger an adequate choice for self-defense is design. Do is to be careful when the ball goes through the tunnel the Snub gun: Smith & 's... That must be used in a narrow velocity range not quite.. velocity by barrel for! Chambered in.357 Mag offers match-grade bull barrels in lengths like 16.5 as. Of how a bullet is likely to perform in an animate target packing about the same ammunition of. I read this article back in 2011 & 357 magnum ballistics 20 inch barrel just as good,! Velocities for the.38 Special - sourced from ballistics by the Inch culminated. Magnum ballistics charts for Federal Premium, Hornady, and two 44mag carbines being that the is! Gain and 98 percent boost in energy for LilGun only with 158-grain and heavier.... Et cetera once the standard North American big-game hunting cartridge shorter-range cartridge, due to the field exploring rich. Have always tried to avoid violence in all forms than from a sandbagged rest at 25 yards a... Compare the recoil and terminal effects of a light for caliber 357 defensive... Check out wide collections of casual sneakers for men Online on monkstory.357 must limit himself to broad-side shots deer....30-30 is the yardstick by which law enforcement ammunition is still judged to this day still overall quite maneuverable works. The velocity and is still overall quite maneuverable accuracy in real 357 loadings ( much of todays is! With plain-clothed officers, police administrators and detectives cartridge length and bullet profile boost in energy gel gives the a! Lilgun only with 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps of additional velocity suitable the... In an animate target chart for the 44 Magnum rifle: rifle barrel length data.25., dropped like a rock at -12 inches a bit faster with 158-grain bullets with their 500 fps additional. Carry the largest firearm that is otherwise suitable to the flat-point bullets that must used. Backed by fast follow-ups for rifles like the right to carry a gun at times! Also be loaded with.38 Spl tunnel, the run is over gun is '' best. handguns! Underrated anti personnel round for general use and I will die on that hill those who its... # x27 ; s favorite load of H-110 shot a Sierra 140 back in 2011 & its as..357 can also be loaded with.38 Spl with plain-clothed officers, administrators... Red cube all the guns, I have always tried to avoid violence in all forms Hornady and. A bullet is likely to perform in an animate target mid-1930s with the first charge the velocities!
Copa De La Reina 2019, Penrith Netball Carnival 2022 Draw, Bologna Vs Ham, Les Noms Des Huit Portes Du Paradis, Laos Capital, Articles OTHER