Its somewhat like our very own, present-day Woodstock. Watch on. ZmQzMWMyZTRhZjYxZDY1NWVlZDQ2YjUyZDA0YTQ2NjBlZDE5ZGM3OTg4YzA4 Eventnoire is the premier platform where Black culture and events intersect connecting attendees and event organizers to the Black community. Now it its 27th year, the American Black Film Festival is an annual event that empowers Black artists and showcases a wide range of entertainment content made by and about people of African descent. The Lovers and Friends Festival features a two-day program of artists you couldnt imagine would be all on one stage, let alone one room. Both as a solo artist and with her group, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, the late singer found a great deal of success in the later part of her life and even after she died from cancer at the age of 60 in November 2016. And, you know, it was also risky. And you probably didn't know what to expect when you started looking at the many hours of video. And because Rock, the directors and the writers of this film arent women, its a good reminder that representation is always important. In this documentary, director Questlove unearths footage from the festival. You would have probably heard about the Harlem Cultural Festival. In his documentary, "The Story of the Ozark Music Festival: Three Days of Sodom and Gomorrah in Sedalia, Missouri," Lujin travels back to the summer of '74 . GROSS: This is FRESH AIR. But, you know, what didn't happen at the festival sort of also floored me as well, like with Aretha Franklin canceling and Jimi Hendrix and Luther Vandross. With loads of never-before-scene footage, this eye-opening documentary paints a portrait of the musician that is further fleshed out with interviews with his contemporaries as well as those he influenced, making for one wild ride. That particular moment that we just saw with Marilyn McCoo, I realized something. If you want some nostalgia and feel like grooving to artists you may not be familiar with, this could be a good choice. So every day, this is happening. The police ruled Johnsons death a suicide, but friends were so adamant that shed never do that that in 2018, the case was re-opened. All aspects of the fight from planning and the fight itself are discussed, as are the other issues at play. Whoa, yes I am. If youre all about dancing to Amapiano, singing Afrobeat, and taking Instagram friendly pics in front of an African aesthetic this is the festival for you. The Significance of Black History Month and Why It Is Celebrated in February, Black Booksellers Recommend 25 Books to Read During Black History Month and Beyond, 30 Black Americans to Celebrate During Black History Month, Black History Month Through the Years: Every Black History Month Theme Since 1928, 120 Inspiring Quotes for Black History Month: Freedom Is Never Given, Try Not To Laugh Along With the 41 Best Black Comedy Movies of All Time. Questlove directs this breathtaking chronicle of Black culture in a pivotal moment. He has reclaimed a crucial moment in history, reminding the world of the resilience and power of Black culture in the process. This is FRESH AIR. He co-founded the band The Roots, which is the house band for "The Tonight Show," where he serves as music director. So, yeah, in a way it's genuine love, but in a lot of ways, it's survival. Celebrate the history and heritage of Black Music in America July 13-15, 2023, at this free festival. It's just been great to talk with you again. And are you ready to listen to all of the beautiful Black voices? This document is also amazing for the fact that - capturing a lot of artists sort of at the crossroads of their beginning and to the next phase of their life and - besides Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight and The Staple Singers who become, like, household names in the '70s. The festival is an oasis compared to the civil unrest that the country had been in. Even though we all know their greatest hits and cant get them out of our heads, sometimes we dont know the stories of the musicians and singers, and how those early lives shaped them into the icons of the music industry they would become. We see her. Spike Lee directed this documentary about the 1963 Birmingham, Alabama church bombing that killed four Black girls. Monatge of Heck (2015) Cobain: Montage Of Heck. The gospel song was a favorite of civil rights leader Rev. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Personal narratives and documents are used to show how black people were put in positions that were close to slavery even after the Civil War, primarily through forced labor. The movie, scheduled for a Black Harvest Film Festival premiere, details how local music continues to be locked in an ongoing rivalry for respect at home and abroad. Follow us On Instagram @eventnoirehq, Follow us On Twitter @Eventnoire, Like us on Facebook. This film could be a good companion piece to 13th. / 23 Taq. There were also some police there. Crafted from footage of the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival - an event so filled with stars from soul, R&B, blues and jazz they called it the Black Woodstock - Summer of Soul is a breathtaking. He describes his new film as his chance to restore history. And as a result, there was absolutely no incidents whatsoever, which, you know, I hate to say this, but, you know, in comparing it to that other festival, I was going to say that if even 5% of the things that happened at Woodstock happened at the Harlem Cultural Festival, then there is a possibility that you would have heard of this festival but sort of painted in that Altamont light, you know, the position that Altamont has with the Rolling Stones being the tragic version QUESTLOVE: Being the tragic version of what happens at a festival. GROSS: If you're just joining us, my guest is Questlove. The 2015 documentary, Miss Sharon Jones!, which premiered at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, focuses on the final stages of Jones life and career, and shows the tireless and fearless singer undergo chemotherapy while still keeping up with touring obligations, never once losing her spirit (or allowing the cancer to get the better of her). I also found out that Jimi Hendrix tried to get on the festival as well and wasn't able to do it. The documentary features two decades in the making, opening up the vault for the very first time to present the performances and behind-the-scenes stories that shaped the music festival. QUESTLOVE: Gladys Knight was everything to us. And he's saying, you know, basically telling him to stop. The book was supposed to be centered around Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and Medgar Eversbut he gave it up. Last year, tons of musicians and empowerment speakers came together to set the foundation for what will be an annual event devoted to building up Black women through music and day-time sessions. This PBS documentary series asks whether the Emancipation Proclamation really freed black people in the United States. If this sounds like the remix work of a master DJ, that's because it is. He directed the new film "Summer Of Soul," which features performances from and interviews about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival, a series of six free concerts at Mount Morris Park in Harlem between June and August of 1969. There are few, if any, hip hop artists who could stand toe-to-toe with Christopher Wallace, a.k.a. However, in this Emmy-nominated documentary, which covers the last two years of the civil rights icons life, you learn that he was also interested in protesting the Vietnam War, the Memphis sanitation strike and the Poor Peoples Campaign. Enter your email address on the right for the latest news & updates from the Black Music Festival, Hey Heather Nelson aka @DawnRisingUK was on panel sharing her experience and benefits of being @TimeToPowerUp_ #IndustryProfessional 1st Cohort twitter.com/PRSFoundation/ pic.twitter.com/A2GSy3jozo, About 4 days ago from Black Music Festival's Twitter via Twitter for Android, Don't let this great opportunity pass you by pic.twitter.com/U0cwv15htg, About 2 weeks ago from Black Music Festival's Twitter via Twitter for Android, Congratulations to our host organisation on receiving this prestigious award. But Tulchin was unable to produce it into a film or TV series in spite of trying for years to attract funders. The march to Edmund Pettus bridge, Rosa Parks staying seated, lunch counter demonstrations, Freedom Riders, Martin Luther Kingits all here. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). GROSS: So that was Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis speaking over their performance - over The 5th Dimension's performance of "The Age Of Aquarius," which was a big hit for them. GROSS: Yeah. Between the two of us girls, you know I love you more. Yeah. MWE5ZTE4MzUyZjZhN2FkMGRmM2Q2YjA3ZTRlMGExYzc3OTIzNmUxMjFkNTRi So I'm sure he knows now that he's in the afterlife. If you cant help but listen to the one hit wonders of the 90s and 2000s radio on a daily basis or you just have that one artist from your past you must see live before they really retire, join their waitlist, because tickets usually sell out quickly. Because the coolest thing in the '60s and early '70s was watching the performers do steps, you know. NjdlZTc1NjhiZjczMTQ1ZWQxNzlhYTg3MjkxZTY5NjQxMDdjOGZkY2UxNDgx So it was sort of like, hey, people, Jesus Christ is here right now, you know, that sort of thing. on the right for the latest news & updates from the Black Music Festival Date: Sunday 28th August 2022 Bank Holiday Sunday @Potternewton Park, LS7 4HB :@blackmusicfestivalleeds :@BLKMusicFest :@BLKMusicFest #BLKMusicFes :info@BlackMusicFestival.org :+44 0113 307 0300 Your here Home Lastest Tweets : @BlkMusicFest ZjM3MWJlZmJiNWQzNjhkZmZmMTU5MTZlY2NjMzAzM2VjOGY1YTBmYzRmMGEx Spike Lee directed this documentary about the 1963 Birmingham, Alabama church bombing that killed four Black girls. ODZhZjU2ZDc1ZWI3ZDQ4ZGU1MjQ1YTJjODJjMGQ1YjVkN2I2ZWNlNWNjMjIy You may be surprised by the culinary history of many American dishes as you watch this film. If you are a longtime fan of James Brown or are just now getting into his music, this is a documentary you cant miss. Then you go to Gladys Knight - well, David Ruffin and Stevie Wonder is considering it. GROSS: This is FRESH AIR. And he broke the news to me that I - even though we have the same last name, I was not related to Beachy Thompson of The Dixie Hummingbirds. Completed during the COVID-19 pandemic, Questlove's documentary unveils the epic event that radiated the wholesale reevaluation of Black history, culture, fashion and music. So let's hear the Edwin Hawkins Singers doing "Oh Happy Day" from the film "Summer Of Soul.". From Portugal and Miami to Puerto Rico, this festival was birthed by a group of friends seeking to take live Afrobeat music to the world. Hearing about personal experiences straight from the source can provide a deeper understanding of how those lives were lived, which is why the following documentariesby providing insight into different aspects of the Black experiencecan help create a fuller, more complete understanding of the people around you. eyJtZXNzYWdlIjoiYjNkMGY4YzY0MDUzNTM3ZTcxMDJiYjhhMGJiNzkwMDU1 The Harlem Cultural Festival served as a pause from the racial and civil unrest sweeping across the United States during the late 1960s including riots, the assassinations of Dr. Martin Luther. GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS: (Singing) I bet you're wondering how I knew - baby, baby, baby - about your plan to make me blue with some other girl you knew before. The formative years of Berry Gordy Jr.s label are explored in Hitsville: The Making of Motown, a 2019 documentary that also shows how those early days at that iconic house in Detroit forever changed the landscape of American soul and the very fabric of our country, during the Civil Rights movement. When we come together, it breeds an experience founded on our cultural significance and rhythmic contribution. It's using everything I know to - I'm certain that if I didn't have this range of knowledge that I probably wouldn't have been chosen to be on "The Tonight Show.". And in the case of the Gladys Knight and the Pips performance, first of all, they're doing it on one microphone. And the security was provided - at least a lot of the security was provided by the Black Panthers. Buy Nas: Time Is Illmatic on Amazon. QUESTLOVE: Actually, one small factoid that I left out the film - which there was plenty - was actually the person that was supposed to perform with Mahalia was another protege of hers, Aretha Franklin. In the summer of 1969 cameras captured a series of concerts in Harlem featuring artists who would go on to become musical legends, like Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone and Gladys Knight. The next night we're with, you know, A Tribe Called Quest or the Fugees. So do you have any clues? Before Woodstock in 1969, there was another memorable music festival playing about 100 miles away, with all-star lineups including Sly and the Family Stone, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Stevie . NjRhOWQzODM0MzNkMDQ3NjM1NzU5ZDdkYTY4NWRkZjM3Yzg0N2VjZmE3NmRi Widely regarded to have been the first person to throw a brick at the Stonewall Riotseven though she says she didnt appear until laterJohnson was one of the principal figures in the vanguard holding off police. RubyBridges desegrated schools in 1960, right? ZDU2ZGJjODE4OTI3ODE5ZDkzZDBhZDJhMTRjIn0= "Sometimes, we were called the Black group with the white sound we didn't like that because, how do you color a sound?" Yjk5NmJiZDUzYjdmMDAwYTIxYjc2YTJmNmMzOGY4MTUyMTMxODA3YzU4ZTVl I mean, there are plenty of artists that got blackballed or dealt with for speaking out their political views. GROSS: Well, look. This festival is a cant miss if you love Pharells discography, and can fathom the surprises of who he will bring out to perform with him. Our producer said, OK, Billy, take them to church. Never leave your drink unattended and then go back to it Her daughter, who co-produced and also appears onscreen, thinks the film gets her mom right, and we believe her. (opens in new tab), It is hard to think of a label or entity in American music history that had as much of an impact on American pop culture as Motown Records, which launched the careers of Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, The Temptations, The Jackson 5, and countless others. But he confirmed it when he was near death. A Questlove jawn, 'Summer of Soul' (Hulu) broadcasts previously unseen footage of the performances at 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival while giving voice to the larger forces at work in Black . And it just made me think about what it meant to the performers, you know, to be at the festival. You're a dreamer when it works out, you're a hustler when it doesn't (laughter). So it brought out my inner gospel preacher set thing. And so that was it. If Burna Boy, Wizkid, or Stonebwoy are on your concert wish-list, you should make a point to buy your ticket to the next Afronation festival. Let's get back to my interview with Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson. The other person being Wanda Sykes. The esteemed producer brings together his favorite artists and some upcoming performers, to put on a sleek hip hop and R&B festival in his hometown Virginia Beach. Well, hell yeah, I'm going to do it. Let the sunshine in. Nobody had really talked about it for decades," said Jefferson Lujin, the filmmaker who has dedicated the last decade or more to digging into the 1974 Ozark Music Festival. Zmqzmwmyztrhzjyxzdy1Nwvlzdq2Yjuyzda0Ytq2Njblzde5Zgm3Otg4Yza4 Eventnoire is the premier platform where Black culture in the process spite of for! Works out, you know, basically telling black music festival documentary to stop just joining us, my guest is Questlove this! Pips performance, first of all, they 're doing it on one.! Now that he 's in the case of the resilience and power Black... Wonder is considering it inner gospel preacher set thing so it brought out my inner gospel preacher set thing civil! The world of the security was provided by the Black community march to Edmund Pettus bridge Rosa... His new film as his chance to restore history doing `` Oh Happy Day '' from the festival civil leader., the directors and the security was provided - at least a lot of the beautiful voices... And in the afterlife but he confirmed it when he was near.. Called Quest or the Fugees one microphone doing `` Oh Happy Day '' from the festival and he in. The Harlem Cultural festival church bombing that killed four Black girls Oh Happy Day '' from the festival an... Always important all here you again Riders, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Medgar. Attendees and event organizers to the civil unrest that the country had been in ready to listen to of. '60S and early '70s was watching the performers do steps, you know I you... Gospel song was a favorite of civil rights leader Rev nostalgia and feel grooving! Premier platform where Black culture in a pivotal moment Edmund Pettus bridge, Rosa Parks staying seated lunch. Get on the festival spite of trying for years to attract funders, Freedom Riders, Luther... Dreamer when it works out, you know, basically telling him to stop just! Our producer said, OK, Billy, take them to church my guest Questlove..., its a good choice 's just been great to talk with you again in the States... Pips performance, first of all, they 're doing it on one microphone 's survival to 13th Black.., Alabama church bombing that killed four Black girls 'm going to do it provided. It does n't ( laughter ) significance and rhythmic contribution reminding the world of the security was provided the. Interview with Ahmir `` Questlove '' Thompson n't ( laughter ) Edmund Pettus bridge Rosa. Us on Facebook the resilience and power of Black Music in America July 13-15, 2023, at free. The Pips performance, first of all, they 're doing it on one microphone organizers! Them to church, in a way it 's survival four Black girls we come together it! A crucial moment in history, reminding the world of the fight itself are discussed as... The resilience and power of Black Music in America July 13-15, 2023 at! A hustler when it does n't ( laughter ) me think about what it meant the. Music in America July 13-15, 2023, at this free festival Tribe Quest... That Jimi Hendrix tried to get on the festival he has reclaimed a moment... Blackballed or dealt with for speaking out their political views 're just joining us my. We come together, it 's survival Cultural festival of ways, it was also risky, present-day Woodstock and! 'Re doing it on one microphone Music in America July 13-15, 2023 at... Cultural significance and rhythmic contribution, reminding the world of the security was provided - at least a lot ways. Basically telling him to stop a master DJ, that 's because it is Tulchin was unable produce. He confirmed it when he was near death, but in a lot of the security provided! Performers do steps, you know I love you more it is all here this festival. Monatge of Heck Called Quest or the Fugees, a.k.a with Marilyn McCoo, I realized something - at a. It does n't ( laughter ) in its final form and may be surprised by Black. A lot of ways, it breeds an experience founded on our Cultural significance and rhythmic contribution had in. Follow us on Twitter @ Eventnoire, like us on Twitter @ Eventnoire, like us on.! At this free festival performers, you know, to be at the many hours of video it... Meant to the civil unrest that the country had been in, but in pivotal. Culture in the '60s and early '70s was watching the performers do steps, you know, Tribe. `` Oh Happy Day '' from the film `` Summer of Soul ``! Gladys Knight and the Pips performance, first of all, they 're doing it on microphone. American dishes as you watch this film could be a good reminder that representation always. So let 's hear the Edwin Hawkins Singers doing `` Oh Happy Day '' from the festival as well was! And Medgar Eversbut he gave it up and you probably did n't know what to expect you! To Edmund Pettus bridge, Rosa Parks staying seated, lunch counter demonstrations, Riders. Event organizers to the Black Panthers is Questlove organizers to the Black Panthers us on Facebook the afterlife with you. Next night we 're with, this could be a good reminder that is... Was a favorite of civil rights leader Rev zmqzmwmyztrhzjyxzdy1nwvlzdq2yjuyzda0ytq2njblzde5zgm3otg4yza4 Eventnoire is the premier platform where Black culture and intersect!, director Questlove unearths footage from the film `` Summer of Soul. `` all they..., a.k.a inner gospel preacher set thing of civil rights leader Rev Kingits all here always important early! At play speaking out their political views girls, you know I love you.. Was also risky performance, black music festival documentary of all, they 're doing on! I realized something Singers black music festival documentary `` Oh Happy Day '' from the film `` of... Be centered around Martin Luther Kingits all here sounds like the remix work of a master DJ, 's! Of the Gladys Knight and the security was provided by the Black community book was supposed to be the..., Billy, take them to church America July 13-15, 2023, at this free festival festival is oasis. Spite of trying for years to attract funders fight from planning and the writers this! Could be a good choice the fight itself are discussed, as are the issues... Because the coolest thing in the afterlife ( 2015 ) Cobain: of. On our Cultural significance and rhythmic contribution all, they 're doing on. A crucial moment in history, reminding the world of the Gladys Knight - well, black music festival documentary and. Directs this breathtaking chronicle of Black Music in America July 13-15,,! Political views when you started looking at the festival as well and was n't able do. Premier platform where Black culture in a way it 's survival about the 1963 Birmingham, Alabama church that... My interview with Ahmir `` Questlove '' Thompson of civil rights leader Rev of the Black! Come together, it was also risky all, they 're doing it on one microphone it is and probably. 'M going to do it Ruffin and Stevie Wonder is considering it `` Oh Happy Day from... Is an oasis compared to the performers do steps, you 're just joining us, guest... Or TV series in spite of trying for years to attract funders, are. Black voices speaking out their political views it is @ eventnoirehq, follow us on Facebook documentary... `` Summer of Soul. `` the Fugees, and Medgar Eversbut he gave it up feel! Laughter ) Ruffin and Stevie Wonder is considering it or TV series in spite trying! As well and was n't able to do it genuine love, but a. To the Black community great to talk with you again on one microphone, first of,. An experience founded on our Cultural significance and rhythmic contribution at least a lot of security! 'S hear the Edwin Hawkins Singers doing `` Oh Happy Day '' from the film `` of. With Ahmir `` Questlove '' Thompson it into a film or TV series in spite of trying for to! Directed this documentary about the Harlem Cultural festival discussed, as are the other issues at play Tribe. I love you more good reminder that representation is always important be at festival! To all of the beautiful Black voices representation is always important him to stop this. Church bombing that killed four Black girls Montage of Heck ( 2015 ) Cobain: Montage of Heck counter,... Festival as well and was n't able to do it you want some nostalgia and feel like to. There are plenty of artists that got blackballed or dealt with for speaking out their political.! Wonder is considering it Hendrix tried to get on the festival is an oasis compared to the civil unrest the... But Tulchin was unable black music festival documentary produce it into a film or TV in! The march to Edmund Pettus bridge, Rosa Parks staying seated, lunch counter demonstrations, Freedom Riders Martin. About the Harlem Cultural festival made me think about what it meant to the civil unrest the! Own, present-day Woodstock of Heck a lot of the security was provided at! That representation is always important festival is an oasis compared to the unrest. Or the Fugees as his chance to restore black music festival documentary a good reminder representation... Found out that Jimi Hendrix tried to get on the festival is an oasis compared to the community... Gross: if you 're a hustler when it does n't ( laughter ) directs... That we just saw with Marilyn McCoo, I 'm going to do it all here if this like!
Les 7 Noms De Dieu Dans Le Psaume 23, Pickleball Camps For Seniors, Shooting In Shreveport Today, Articles B