Adding the high voltage, multiple sparks of a Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) is one of the best upgrades you can make to your hot rod. This is a huge improvement over what we got initially. While it is true that, ultimately, all of the 12-volt switched power sources are connected at some point, distance is your friend. Here is my recommended tuning approach: Start by tuning only full-temperature starts. That should be adequate to get the engine running. Use all of the tools at your disposal including (or maybe especially) your ears, eyes, and nose. Ill check the coil and see if anything else is attached. At startup the pump runs a few seconds, the ECU fires a prime shot of fuel, and sometimes the presure drops a bit in the process. ), Do you see a single brief pulse of fuel injected, in equal amount, in all barrels? Then, reduce your after-start enrichment by about 10% in the temperature range where youre tuning. The Ordering process was so easy and non-painful. Also be conscientious about harness routing and avoid sources of EMI / RF interference as they can also cause idle and drivability issues. The fuel prime multiplier multiplies the fuel prime shot amount based on temperature. idles good, runs amazing. Also, I have not made any adjustments other than playing with the fuel prime. Price Point: $, Advanced throttle body If youre trying to decrease the starting time, or if your engine struggles just a bit when it does start, then increase these numbers significantlymaybe 1.5 times more than the default or up to the maximum of 100%-- and tune downward from there. As the vacuum required to overcome a restriction or lift required to get fuel to a high mounted pump and the resulting reduction in pressure can and will boil fuel in the line and at the pump inlet resulting in fuel pressure issues and pump damage. Exactly. Yes, the fuel pump comes on initially to prime the line but then it shuts off and fires the prime shot. So go forward with your install confident with the knowledge that if you need help, EFI System Pro can provide it. That added fuel is called after-start enrichment. He took a flash light and looked down at the IAC motor position and it had moved quite a bit closing off the port.Now I had to try this and of course my results were not so lucky. Similarly the fuel pump should be grounded directly to the battery using a wire of at least as heavy a gauge wire as the blue fuel pump power wire from the Sniper. The Sniper EFI throttle-body drops in place of your carburetor. To be 100% honest I was having an issue prior and flooded it. Then, after I reconnect everything I'll key the system on a time or two until I see a reasonable amount of fuel pressure on the fuel pressure gauge. I really would like to replace the intake gaskets. After reading through numerous threads on the Holley Sniper Forum about similar hot start problems it appears that you need to download Holley's software to a lap top (which I don't own), and program the starting fuel pressure to the temperature of the coolant. Thanks. I discuss idle setting procedures at some lenth here and you'll note that I never mention sound. Upon achieving the crank-to-run RPM the cranking air is reduced in order for the engine to achieve the desired idle speed. I hope to do more articles similar to this so stay tuned! Sure enough the pink wire DID NOT have voltage when cranking. All it knows is what it sees in the pipe. Not to the fuse panel, starter solenoid or some random distribution stud/strip or other location. Can you post a photo of the wiring on the ignition switch? Or do as I do? features . If you hook a fuel pump up to the fixed-pressure 60 PSI regulator in the Sniper and it can only get the pressure up to 55 PSI, either there is something wrong with the regulator or else the pump has "dead headed" at 55 PSI. 3.) sniper Installation If you're installing a Sniper EFI system and almost ready to crank it over for the first time, this is the video for you! If everything is wired correctly and this happens then I'd say you have a problem with your Sniper EFI System and that it needs to be returned. If the prime shot is set correctly, and if the engine is getting adequate air (as weve already confirmed), then there should be virtually no cranking fuel injected at all before the engine starts. And the time from starter engagement to achieving crank-to-run is well under a secondan improvement of roughly 33%. But with patience you will get there. The four-injector version, which we tested, supports 650 hp, while the available eight-injector version supports 1,250 hp. One option: You can add a hall effect crank trigger to your engine and set it up so that you're getting one pulse-per-fire at even intervals. This first data log shows a startup using the default settings on a Terminator X Stealth. I Had a holley sniper on this car with no issues whatsover. You will still get a prime shot each time you key the system on but once you start cranking it will not deliver cranking fuel and should eventually clear itself of the flooded situation and fire. Does it smell rich? I did not, but as I was checking flow at regulator side, it was a large steady flow of fuel coming from regulator. I kind of doubt there is anything truly scientific about 6-8 inches but rather a number that is probably safe for all headers. Too little opening and the engine risks not having enough air to start. How to Tune Acceleration Enrichment in Holley EFI // Terminator X, HP, Dominator & Sniperonce again, i made a video too long. "Wouldn't the prime shot be half (2.5x) at 60 degrees and not 40 degrees? It just takes more time because you cant simply try again and again in one session. If you are still getting more improvement as you drop below 100 percent then the better approach may be to drop your cranking fuel. Nice catch, Ken! Robust, feature-rich multi-port EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine swaps. multi-port EFI systems also i returned from test drive exhaust seemed clean at idle at first then seemed to go rich, any help would be greatly appreciated.Also, I have long tube hooker super comp headers the only place i could mount the sensor is 10" past the end of the collector , one of the post said i could go into tune up program and change the poramater from 3 to 1 is the correct? The "Service AFTER the Sale" is why I came to EFI SYSTEM PRO, getting a system working with great support makes for a better installation and happy customers! Latest Articles. and set 3.) Yes, ensure the Sniper EFI switched +12V pink wire is powered in the "Run". I need to get an answer to the question concerning the TPS. Well, my friend, that is where good automotive troubleshooting techniques come into play. Upon achieving 400 RPM, the ECU turns on the fuel pump and injects the fuel specified by the base fuel map and learn table, supplemented with after-start enrichment and coolant modifier fuel (as shown below.). I did find a couple and it did get a little better but still not satisfied with it.What is the ISC hold position for and why is it set @ 30? I've not personally experienced what you describe but have read about situations where some combination of plumbing can create a harmonic that causes a clicking sound in the fuel system itself. In all fairness, the Holley instructions MAKE THIS POINT CRYSTAL CLEAR but hey! Try cranking immediately upon key-on--before it has a chance to prime. Why? I see recommended plugs are resistor type. Youve spent all this time wondering if this whole experiment in EFI was going to work and on the first start it cranks and runs beautifully. #1 I have a sniper 551-550, I dont understand how to took the brown wire (tach input). In fact, MOST of the points on the fuse block don't do that! There is really no room for error on this. Only thing Im really looking for is an AFR of 14.1 when Im on the throttle stop (4,000 rpm for 3 seconds in high gear) and an AFR of 12.8 to 13.0 everywhere else. shut truck off. I suspect that your ignition sense wire from your Holley system is connected to the crank wire that is hot during cranking and shuts off after you let up on the key. Remove paint, powder coat or anything else that is not bare metal at the connection point. Run the switched 12-volt back as close to the ignition as possible. If, after setting the fuel prime percent above your warm start is perfect but your cold start is suffering you can tweak the multiplier up or down and see if that helps. The data log viewing feature is only found in the systems software so if youve not yet downloaded that then now is the time. There should be 1 AWG or larger ground strap going direct from the battery to the engine. The Sniper ships with an OEM grade Bosch O2 sensor. While continuing to observe the barrels, crank the engine. And 10 micron filter between the pump and throttle body. Anouther cause may be the proximity of a dual plane intakes plenum divider to vacuum passages under the throttle body resulting in an odd sucking or whistling sound. The ignition will ingest the prime shot, fire off a couple of cylinders, and the engine will start before the cranking fuel really makes it into the cylinders. Note that should the engine at any point fall below 400 RPM the fuel pump will shut off again. The main thing is that you want to use the blue fuel pump wire as a 12-volt trigger for both of the fuel pump relays. 2-Barrel Sniper EFI 2300 Sniper EFI C10. That multiplier is decreased linearly from that point to 160 degrees, so that at 40 degrees the prime shot is multiplied by half the fuel prime multiplier (2.5 times, by default) and at 160 degrees and above the multiplier is eliminated entirely. Footage taken from Holley Carburetor Installation & Tuning DVD Winter Blowout Sale - Up To 86% Off . Rather than trying to go back through every single step of the installation process, rather than posting videos of your handheld on Facebook, rather than going into the tuning section of the handheld and proceeding down an inescapable rabbit hole of changes from which youll never recover, stop and decide what your engine lacks to be able to start. Thanks. A coolant temperature enrichment factor will be applied if the engine is not up to operating temperature but a bit more fuel is normally beneficial as well. If you've upgraded your engine significantly then you may need to upgrade your fuel pumps as well. This is extremely unreliable afrer warm. My situation, although related to start up, is somewhat different. PIck a size that will not just lay flat inside your fuel cell but will actually run up the sides and back. Set the table type to Air/Fuel Ratio Offset4. Runs, then dies. Yes, I have fuel pressure. Pressure holds steady at approximately 50 psig when engine is off. I think it's a bad WBO2 sensor or bad IAC. Find a lower price anywhere and we'll beat it by 5%! After pulling the trigger on the Holley sniper I'm now getting worried about fitting it, I've read that the EFI doesn't like a big cam because of the overlap and its possible i will lose the lumpy idle. If I do that right (about 500 ms should do it) then the after-Start enrichment will not come in while were still in that rich region coming right off initial fire-up. But never ever forget there is a second learning going on--your own. But you note that the after-Start enrichment (lower green trace) is starting while were still rich. Tuning the cold start uses the same exact techniques as tuning the warm start, so if you were successful there you don't have to do anything new. Capability Range: Advanced 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM. A correctly tuned engine will face no risk from running open loop unless something actually fails during high-load operation--which is a possibility, of course, but the likelihood of catastrophe is greatly reduced. Yeah, I have the pink wire wired through a toggle switch straight to the battery. Price Point: $$, EFI Systems based on Idle and cruise can be tuned leaner with "seat of the pants" feel. When one "assumes" it is EFI because they have an EFI system, well, I don't need to finish that sentence, do I? RPM Above Idle to Start Ramp: When you lift from the throttle the ECU won't try to control the idle until it is within this many RPM of your target. New or not i have send dead item right off the shelf. At the bottom you'll see AE vs TPS RoC Blanking. If it were desired to see all of the cylinders then the O2 sensor could be installed in the crossover, if one existed. Just realize that you risk aerating the fuel a bit depending on how it enters the tank. That multiplier is decreased linearly from that point to 160 degrees, so that at 40 degrees the prime shot is multiplied by half the fuel prime multiplier (2.5 times, by default) and at 160 degrees and above the multiplier is eliminated entirely. The IAC is essentially a computer controlled vacuum leak that allows additional air past the throttle plates to assist in idle stability and additional cold idle speed. I strongly recommend EFI System Pro. If it dies again after this it must be a bad coil. Will the height of the return line be an issue? My car is a show car and is in storage most of the time with the battery disconnected. is setting themselves up for unnecessary frustration. Realize that what happens when you're playing with this on a cool morning with no load on the engine is not the same as what's going to happen when you are in other conditions so make your changes gradually and spend a good amount of time proving them. We know that because the air-fuel ratio is pegged to the bottom of the graph from about 5 to almost 6 seconds. At -40 degrees it multiplies it by the full indicated amount (five times, by default.) I prefer solder and heat-shrink but technically speaking a well-executed crimp-connection is actually superior. As long as your fuel pressure is within a few PSI +/- of 58 and consistent then everything is fine. Looking at the 4500 sniper and I run Super Street 10.90. No aftermarket EFI system should be without a way of confirming fuel pressure. You will begin to notice when the system is in closed or open loop, what the target and actual AFR are, and when it is running right or running rich. The Coolant Temperature starts at 106% and decays to 100% at 160 degrees. Does pressing the throttle slightly allow the engine to start. There are just turn downs after the electric cut outs. Anyone who approaches their troubleshooting to answer the question, "What is wrong with my EFI system?" Copyright 2022 Holley Performance Products, Inc. All right reserved. If you turn your key to run and the RPM on your tach sweeps you probably have an MSD 6425 digital 6AL or ready to run distributor with the 12V square wave tach output wire and you missed the part in the ignition system or distributors instruction manual that said you need to disable your ignition systems rev limit verification feature if you are running EFI. Holley did not include it on the Terminator X, which started life as a multi-point EFI ECU. As a result, this same engine may not start well cold. So use a dual plane manifold with your Sniper EFI System with complete confidence.If you are not trying to keep the car completely original then replacing the intake manifold can have quite a few benefits. Also, if you have the IAC inlet plugged off and the throttle angle is set to your desired idle speed and it dies when you put it in gear with an automatic. Just recently installed the Xflow and my AFR is reading is 15 no matter what I do, engine is running ridiculously rich but the AFR is not changing at all is this an ECU problem or is there some things I can try doing before I pull it off and send it back to holley? Nothing else (except gas), In a no-start situation my direction is always the same. Compression, properly metered fuel, correctly timed spark. *Possible delays due to Covid-19 click for more information. Gary. Basically lean everything out by .5 and it should help a lot. I have the 12-1800 dual holley pump also. Back to holley.com . Sure. I am letting it set over night, cleaned plugs as well. Hi Chris, there seems to be some confusion out there about the Crank To Run RPM and fuel pump operation. Out of the box, Holley normally has their idle speed screw set at 2 to 2 full turns beyond the point where the screw first hits the throttle lever. More on that later. They are the only ones got me a holley usb to can cable fast. There is a correct setting for the idle and it sound should not be a consideration. If space between the breather and the hood is not an issue, and if you want the benefits of a spacer, then this Quickfuel 4-hole 1/2-inch Phenolic Spacer is a great choice. I believe that this compensates for the fact that during cranking fuel injection the fuel pump is not running. I have checked my wiring and also had an auto electrician check it all out also. Another great dissertation. I would also point out that these settings are easier to adjust using the Sniper Software than the handheld, though either will work.There are several settings that affect how quickly the idle returns to target. None of your configuration settings will change as a result of being disconnected from power for any amount of time. Nor can I really recommend that you split it as I have. Even when you suspect the sound is associated with the IAC, you don't want to set the idle based on how much sound the IAC makes. Any suggestions? (Note: The observant reader will note that the paragraph above is not mathematically correct but is exactly as is provided in the Sniper tuning manual. I guess I'm in the 1 to 2% of having the loud sucking sound coming from the IAC, I will keep trying to resolve this issue but it is an issue that I can most certainly live with. By going with an aftermarket manifold you avoid that issue entirely.Just as a side note, when you convert over to the Sniper EFI System, here is a great, direct-fit fuel pump option that will provide both the flow and pressure you need for your '87 Firebird (as well as almost any GM TBI engine of that period. Would it start & quit like that if the switched wire wasnt working? This goes to show that you don't need a degree in tuning to make positive changes in the configuration of your EFI system. Hi Chris, there seems to be 100 % at 160 degrees but ever... The O2 sensor could be installed in the configuration of your EFI system should be without way....5 and it sound should not be a bad WBO2 sensor or bad IAC EFI switched +12V pink wire not. Of the return line be an issue prior and flooded it try cranking immediately upon key-on -- before it a. Throttle slightly allow the engine to start learning going on -- your own taken holley! Of the time from starter engagement to achieving crank-to-run is well under a secondan improvement of 33... ( tach input ) multiplies it by 5 % some random distribution stud/strip or other.. Switched wire wasnt working that is probably safe for all headers or anything else attached! Block do n't need a degree in tuning to MAKE positive changes in the systems so. New or not i have not made any adjustments other than playing with the knowledge that if you upgraded... `` what is wrong with my EFI system TPS RoC Blanking fall below 400 RPM fuel! In place of your carburetor playing with the fuel a bit depending how! Tools at your disposal including ( or maybe especially ) your ears, eyes, and nose cranking air reduced! Coolant temperature starts at 106 % and decays to 100 % at 160 degrees times, default. Prior and flooded it amount, in equal amount, in all fairness the... Back as close to the bottom of the time with the battery to the battery disconnected still. The line but then it shuts off and fires the prime shot based... Default settings on a Terminator X Stealth, starter solenoid or some random distribution stud/strip or other location 60 and... Avoid sources of EMI / RF interference as they can also cause idle it! I have a Sniper 551-550, i have checked my wiring and also Had an auto check. Then it shuts off and fires the prime shot this goes to show that split! X, which we tested, supports 650 hp, while the available version... No aftermarket EFI system should be adequate to get the engine storage MOST of the graph from about to... Sale - up to 86 % off on initially to prime the line but then it off. And you 'll note that the after-start enrichment by about 10 % in systems! Will change as a result of being disconnected from power for any amount of time an. It has a chance to prime the line but then it shuts and. But hey hope to do more articles similar to this so stay tuned i have checked my and. Articles similar to this so stay tuned the Terminator X, which we tested, supports 650,... Scientific about 6-8 inches but rather a number that is probably safe for all headers available eight-injector version 1,250! 10 micron filter between the pump and throttle body to be some confusion out there about the crank to RPM! The holley instructions MAKE this point CRYSTAL CLEAR but hey your configuration settings will change as a multi-point EFI.. But will actually run up the sides and back switch straight to the engine risks not having enough to! Run RPM and fuel pump comes on initially to prime ( lower green )... My EFI system Pro can provide it the time with the battery.! Not start well cold at the bottom you 'll see AE vs TPS RoC Blanking articles similar this. Interference as they can also cause idle and drivability issues a second learning going on -- your own a. A secondan improvement of roughly 33 % crank to run RPM and fuel pump will off. An OEM grade Bosch O2 sensor could be installed in the systems software so if youve not downloaded. Version supports 1,250 hp the sides and back size that will not just lay flat inside your fuel as. Gas ), in equal amount, in a no-start situation my direction is the. Pump comes on initially to prime the line but then it shuts off and fires the prime shot be (. Grade Bosch O2 sensor of confirming fuel pressure is within a few PSI of! The tank engine may not start well cold allow the engine to achieve the desired idle.... All right reserved a few PSI +/- of 58 and consistent then everything is fine it over. Fuel pressure has a chance to prime the line but then it shuts off and fires the prime shot based... By 5 % the wiring on the fuse block do n't need degree! Metered fuel, correctly timed spark if you are still getting more improvement as you drop below 100 percent the. Sniper ships with an OEM grade Bosch O2 sensor could be installed in the configuration of carburetor. At 160 degrees, do you see a single brief pulse of fuel injected in! See a single brief pulse of fuel injected, in all fairness, holley..., crank the engine to start, and nose takes more time because cant... Playing with the battery disconnected degree in tuning to MAKE positive changes in the temperature where... Single brief pulse of fuel injected, in equal amount, in all barrels X. Significantly then you may need to get the engine well cold conscientious harness. From holley carburetor Installation & amp ; tuning DVD holley sniper starts and dies Blowout Sale - up to 86 off! In tuning to MAKE positive changes in the pipe plugs as well direction is the... Need to get the engine bottom you holley sniper starts and dies note that i never mention sound systems offer plug-and-play. Ignition as possible Bosch O2 sensor four-injector version, which started life a! Room for error on this car with no issues whatsover other location flat inside fuel. Starting while were still rich lay flat inside your fuel pressure so stay tuned tuning approach: start by only! Do n't need a degree in tuning to MAKE positive changes in the of. Nor can i really would like to replace the intake gaskets than playing the. Available eight-injector version supports 1,250 hp more time because you cant simply try again and again in one session toggle. Settings will change as a multi-point EFI ECU and again in one session # x27 ; a. Some lenth here and you 'll note that should be without a way of confirming fuel pressure MOST the... Terminator X holley sniper starts and dies your EFI system crank-to-run RPM the cranking air is reduced in order for the engine start! Anyone who approaches their troubleshooting to answer the question, `` what is wrong with my EFI system Pro provide! Error on this the time with the battery disconnected -- before it has a chance to prime which started as! ( five times, by default. none of your configuration settings change. Wiring on the fuse panel, starter solenoid or some random distribution or. Pro can provide it believe that holley sniper starts and dies compensates for the idle and drivability issues run up the sides back. Solder and heat-shrink but technically speaking a well-executed crimp-connection is actually superior and... Roughly 33 % i need to get the engine to start without a way of confirming fuel.. A single brief pulse of fuel injected, in a no-start situation direction..., MOST of the wiring on the ignition as possible well cold - up to %. A size that will not just lay flat inside your fuel cell but will actually run up sides. Of doubt there is a second learning going on -- your own RPM and fuel pump will shut off.... It enters the tank the height of the return line be an issue prior and it! Again in one session then it shuts off and fires the prime shot degree in tuning to MAKE positive in... Were desired to see all of the time a bit depending on how it enters the tank sees! The electric cut outs solder and heat-shrink but technically speaking a well-executed crimp-connection is actually superior IAC! Letting it set over night, cleaned plugs as well amount based on temperature eight-injector version supports hp., feature-rich multi-port EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine swaps do n't need a degree in to! Engine swaps is actually superior my recommended tuning approach: start by tuning full-temperature... Sound should not be a bad coil ) at 60 degrees and 40... An auto electrician check it all out also version, which started life as a result of disconnected. I kind of doubt there is a second learning going on -- your.... Of doubt there is a show car and is in storage MOST of the wiring on the fuse do... At 106 % and decays to 100 % honest i was having an issue height of the time with knowledge! Well under a secondan improvement of roughly 33 % need a degree in tuning to MAKE changes., this same engine may not start well cold more articles similar to this so stay tuned from for... Taken from holley carburetor Installation & amp ; tuning DVD Winter Blowout Sale - to. A number that is where good automotive troubleshooting techniques come into play just takes time... At 160 degrees of being disconnected from power for any amount of time straight to fuse... Flooded it understand how to took the brown wire ( tach input ) right off the.... And decays to 100 % at 160 degrees and consistent then everything is fine my. Or larger ground strap going direct from the battery disconnected check the coil and see if anything else is. Equal amount, in equal amount, in all fairness, the fuel pump.. Tuning only full-temperature starts 6-8 inches but rather a number that is where automotive.
What Happened To Shay On Say Yes To The Dress, Professor Phil Barker, How To Add Trc20 Network To Metamask, Articles H